Friday, February 15, 2008

John McCain On Democrats' Failure To Act On FISA

"I'm very serious when I say, I think it's disgraceful that the House of Representatives didn't act and this is going to lapse. We're fighting an implacable enemy here. I cannot imagine the House of Representatives not moving forward, and letting this bill just lapse. And frankly, I was proud of the president by saying he would delay his trip to Africa to try to get this thing done. This is a compelling issue of national security. ... [W]e're talking about the ability of terrorist groups that want to attack the United States of America to communicate with each other." -- John McCain

Excerpts From John McCain's Interview On CNN's "Larry King Live" Last Night

CNN's LARRY KING: "The Capitol Hill battle over FISA, the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act. The temporary revisions passed in 2007 are set to expire by the end of this week. You voted to make the revisions permanent. Why?"

JOHN MCCAIN: "Because we need it. We're in a new kind of environment here. The Internet, the means of telecommunications, the way that a guy like Osama bin Laden is able to communicate all over the world from some place in Pakistan and Afghanistan. I'm very serious when I say, I think it's disgraceful that the House of Representatives didn't act and this is going to lapse. We're fighting an implacable enemy here. I cannot imagine the House of Representatives not moving forward, and letting this bill just lapse. And frankly, I was proud of the president by saying he would delay his trip to Africa to try to get this thing done. This is a compelling issue of national security. ...

"I know they decided not to act on the bill, and it seems to me that -- that's just not the right thing to do when we're talking about the ability of terrorist groups that want to attack the United States of America to communicate with each other."

Watch John McCain Address Democrats' Failure To Act On FISA

No comments: