Saturday, February 27, 2010

Karen Handel: 2/26/10 Update

Yesterday, I announced my plan reduce the size of Georgia's government, solve our budget problems and save $404 million in taxpayer money. I hope I can count on you to stand with me in this pledge by following this link.

The fact is, our state government is in crisis and we have a fundamental choice to make. We can either cut government or raise taxes, and for me, the only option is to reduce spending and scale back Georgia's non-essential government programs, not raise taxes on its citizens.

To be blunt, my plan is to reduce the size of Georgia's government. Permanently. Will you stand with me on this pledge, and help me spread the word by forwarding this email to 5 neighbors, friends or family members?

I've called for several budget reforms and spending drawbacks that will save our state hundreds of millions of dollars. No more budget gimmicks like furloughs of our state employees and no more waste on programs we just don't need or want.

Janet, we're going to fundamentally change the way your government spends your money.
I've called for a 10% reduction in the size of state government. This will permanently eliminate 7,800 unneeded jobs, save the state more than $400 million and go a long way toward filling what could be a $1 billion budget hole.

If you support this plan, I hope you'll pledge your support by following this link and forward this email to help spread the word that change is coming to our state Government.

The Handel Administration will also employ 'zero-based budgeting,' which means every state agency will start at zero each budget year. We will no longer begin the process with last year's funding level.

We're going re-prioritize everything our government does and focus on the mission critical services of government.

I also called for reforming the pay and benefit plans for state employees. We are going to replace the outdated way state employees accumulate unlimited vacation and sick leave with "paid time off," which will save Georgia millions and bring government more in line with how the private sector works.

For years, Republican candidates have talked about making government smaller, but I'm the only one with a record of doing so.

As Secretary of State, I permanently cut my budget by more than 20% by cutting the workforce, consolidating services and reforming the agency. And that's what I'll do as Governor.
When Fulton County faced a deficit of $100 million and a possible $3 million property tax increase, I worked across party lines to reduce spending and balance the budget, without a tax increase.

I believe state government is fat and there is plenty of room to cut. I've proven that I can do it. But, I can't do it without your help.

If you want a Governor who has the courage to take on the status quo and make the tough decisions that will shrink the size of government, I'd really appreciate your help as I push forward in this race.

Please stand with me in this pledge, help me spread the message by forwarding this email to your friends and family, and if you can, make an online contribution to my campaign today.
As always - thanks for your support! Together, we'll get the job done.

Your friend,
Karen Handel
---
Community News You Can Use
Click to read MORE news:
www.GeorgiaFrontPage.com
Twitter: @gafrontpage
www.ReadMyLipstickNetwork.com
Twitter: @readmylipstick
www.ArtsAcrossGeorgia.com
www.Hummingbird-Hollow.com
Twitter: @hhpotterystudio
---

No comments: