Monday, May 4, 2009

Shafer Decides to Stick with the Senate

Today I am fully suspending my campaign for Lieutenant Governor with the intention of seeking re-election to the State Senate.

I will always be grateful to those who have so generously supported my candidacy. I am especially proud of the endorsements from my colleagues in the Georgia General Assembly and our strong showing in the various Republican straw polls.

I was relieved to learn that the Lieutenant Governor’s surgery went well and that his doctors are optimistic about his ability to actively campaign for re-election. He has been a friend for many years, and I wish him a speedy return to full health.

I would not have entered the race had it not been an open seat, and there is no point in remaining in it as long as the Lieutenant Governor is well enough to be a candidate for re-election.

Public service is, by definition, about serving others, not the positions or titles that we want for ourselves.

Dr. Bill Sheals and Matt Reeves have agreed to serve as honorary co-chairs of my re-election campaign.

Here's David's website: http://www.votedavid.com/

No comments: