Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Austin Scott Calls on GOP to Fight for Conservative Values, Youth Vote

Rep. Austin Scott, R-Tifton, took his campaign for governor to the Georgia Republican Convention in Savannah over the weekend.. He called on party members to help him “rebuild” not “rebrand” the GOP by explaining to younger voters why conservative principles provide the most opportunity for prosperity in Georgia.

“As a man who was elected at the age of 26, I understand the power, the energy, and the victory that this generation can deliver for our party. This generation demands servant leaders prepared and willing to lead from day one. I am prepared to do just that.

“We as a party, and especially those of us who are elected, must take responsibility for what happened this past November.

“As your governor I will never sacrifice our principles for liberal policies from Washington, handed down by people who in their own words have said they have never been proud of this country,” Scott said.

Dozens of Scott’s supporters and volunteers traveled from around Georgia for the event.
“We will rebuild this party with a dynamic, energetic, and exciting movement that incorporates the next generation of voters and maintains our core beliefs that life is precious, God is good, and we are one nation under God.

“We are overwhelmed with the support we have received from around Georgia this weekend. College students, families, and dozens of ordinary Georgians made the journey with me and my wife, Vivien. We are grateful for their help, and we are ready to fight for Georgia’s future in the days ahead,” Scott said.

Austin Scott’s remarks at 2009 Georgia Republican Convention:

“Thank you for allowing me the privilege to wear the Republican brand for 14 years.

“We’re gathered here in Savannah. It is a beautiful city and a great place to hold this convention.

“But we are not here just to enjoy this great city. We’re here as Republicans to reclaim our role as the leaders of this country. I believe that our Republican principles are stronger than ever, and I believe that our party is also.

“Our conservative values were right yesterday, they are right today, and they will be right tomorrow. We are Republican because we understand that the future of our country depends on Individual freedom, freedom which depends on personal responsibility, freedom which must be protected from all enemies.

“Now, our party suffered a predictable loss 6 months ago—a defeat that was the result of us abandoning our conservative principles.

“It was one defeat and as Republicans we can ill afford to ‘rebrand’ in an effort to appease those who do not appreciate their very freedoms that we seek to protect.

“We as a party and especially those of us who are elected must take responsibility for what happened this past November. We didn’t do what we said we were going to do—unbalanced budgets and an escalating debt are unacceptable to the American people.

“As governor of Georgia, we will rebuild this party. Rebranding is not open for discussion, nor will I as governor of this great state of Georgia, as some have suggested we do, abandon our brothers in this country in what may very well be the greatest challenge to our freedom since World War II.

“During this campaign, I will deliver a message of limited government, which seeks only to provide services that cannot be provided by the free market.

“As your governor, I will never sacrifice our principles for liberal policies from Washington, handed down by people who in their own words have said they have never been proud of this country.

“In the House, I was proud to lead the charge to kill the Obama Resolution that proclaimed him as a man of unimpeachable character.

“We are still one nation under God and no Resolution saying the president has unimpeachable character is going to pass as long as I have anything to say about it.

“In this race our party must be the party that offers the next generation of voters a governor that they believe in.

“As a man who was elected at the age of 26, I understand the power, the energy, and the victory that this generation can deliver for our party.

“This generation demands servant leaders prepared and willing to lead from day one. I am prepared to do just that. The stakes for the next generation and the ones that follow are just too high to elect a governor that is not prepared to govern.

“As a servant leader, I have never done business with the state or any political subdivision of the state. I have never participated in a government retirement plan.

“I promise to be a good steward of your tax dollars, and as your governor, I will not appoint anyone to the board of regents who contributes more than $1000 to my campaign. The board of regents controls 6 billion in public funds and those seats are not for sale.

“We will expand the Transparency in Government Act so you can better see how your tax dollars are being spent.

“And while my campaign welcomes contributions, I would suggest that those who seek a personal rate of return invest elsewhere.

“We as Republicans cannot survive the plague of unethical, illegal campaign contributions.
“And those of you seated in this room have the responsibility to support a candidate who represents our core beliefs as Republicans and whose actions as a candidate do not bring into question the integrity of our brand.

“As Georgia’s governor, I will continue my unwavering support for a trauma network that serves all of Georgia

“Some have falsely suggested that this network is the capitalization of private businesses similar to what we have seen in Washington.

“This network already exists but will survive only with a sustainable funding source.

“As chairman of the Governmental Affairs Committee, I had the responsibility of delivering the Voter ID Laws of this state and the recent law to publish the names of the few in our legislature who have not complied with the tax laws. While other political opportunists grandstanded but failed to deliver on these issues, I fulfilled my responsibility and today they are the law.

“I was one of the plaintiffs in the lawsuit against Roy Barnes and Tom Murphy, who butchered our legislative and congressional districts.

“The success of that lawsuit was key to Republicans becoming the majority in the House of Representatives and the Senate of this state.

“As you can see, in my time at the capitol I have never abandoned my responsibilities to my party or the people I represent. I believe in action, and I am a man of my word.

“Let me conclude by saying one more time that I have no interest in rebranding our party.

“We will rebuild this party with a dynamic, energetic, and exciting movement that incorporates the next generation of voters and maintains our core beliefs that life is precious, God is good, and we are one nation under God. Thank you, God Bless you.
---
Community News You Can Use
Follow us on Twitter: @gafrontpage
www.FayetteFrontPage.com
www.GeorgiaFrontPage.com
www.PoliticalPotluck.com
www.ArtsAcrossGeorgia.com
---

No comments: