Friday, August 15, 2008

Statement by John McCain Welcoming Missile Defense Pact with Poland

Today, U.S. Senator John McCain issued the following statement welcoming the missile defense pact with Poland:

"I welcome the announcement that the United States and Poland have agreed on a missile defense plan for Europe. As I noted during my meeting last month with Polish Foreign Minister Radek Sikorski, this constitutes an important step forward in protecting European nations from a growing threat -- missile attacks from states like Iran. While I have welcomed U.S. offers to work with Russia on this system and share in its benefits, I was disappointed in Russia's reaction to the announcement. Threatening attacks against Poland, a NATO ally, is a wholly inappropriate response to an agreement that is not aimed at countering Russia.

"Rather than exchanging charges over missile defense, I would urge Moscow to comply with the ceasefire in Georgia and immediately begin withdrawing its forces from sovereign Georgian territory. I welcome Secretary Rice's visit to Tbilisi and believe that the entire international community should do its utmost to bring aid to the Georgian people."
---
www.FayetteFrontPage.com
www.GeorgiaFrontPage.com
Community News You Can Use
---

No comments: